Friday, March 2, 2018

Homebound Activities: Collages

One thing my four year old could do for hours is take a piece of card stock, glue and odds and ends around the house and make them into a work of art. I got this idea from a station we used to do in a classroom I worked in when I was in college. My daughter now goes to that school and they have continued the same activity.

This activity works for ages 2.5 & up. All I do us put out magazines, buttons, scrap paper, beads, ribbon, lace, jewels, stickers, confetti, glitter and natural materials ( leaves, sticks, flowers, etc.) then let them choose what they want to include. I try to separate myself from the process as much as possible. While she is doing her projects I have to exercise a lot of impulse control to let every result be her accomplishment and hers alone. I have come to terms this is her time and why would I want my own work reflected in her work? I see these times as an awesome opportunity to work on independent work and let their creativity flow.

In my daughters room I have made a wall filled with squares she made that she was proud of over the last two years. She is always proud of the work she does at one point I'd like to bring them to a frame shop to get them framed. Children make what they consider beautiful and if you surround them with their work they will continue to have that sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment