Monday, March 5, 2018

Helping Our Communities: Making Pictures or Letters

My daughter is constantly inspiring me! She told me she wanted to make a picture to thank our mail person for bringing her the mail. I agreed and we are now on a "community helpers" appreciation kick where our daughter wants to make things for all of our "community helpers". A teacher at my school, Angie, had community helpers come in and read books to her class and I thought how about we reverse? What if we did something for our community helpers?

Our goal as parents is for our daughter to appreciate everyones role in our community and what they offer for us. I am still teaching her what many roles are. She doesn't understand what police officers do or EMT's other than "they keep us safe" and "they are safe people" who drive fancy cars with stickers on the side and flashing lights. With that said --she does know our firefighters, librarians, garbage/recycling people, wait staff , teachers, mail carriers and life guards. So she makes pictures and shows gratitude when  she gets a chance to see them. These are great building blocks for a healthy outlook on how to contribute to society and appreciating everyones roles.

I think this also ties into the expectations of "Thank You" letters in the future and understanding that expectation in life.I am lucky this comes naturally to my daughter, but I am not sure if it's something that is always at the forefront of social etiquette. As my friend, Sheena, pointed out the burden often falls on a mother in the house and I am not sure why that task has to be gendered/ age geared. A good friend of my daughters wrote her own "Thank You" notes to friends for the gifts they gave at her 4th birthday. I found this equally inspiring for this post. Thank you to the Umphrey family for reminding us the responsibility can always be put on your child despite it being easier for others.

I myself struggle with this internally at home and I am sure most of you can empathize; doing it yourself vs. letting others do it in the interest of time. This is your chance to let it go and take responsible risks we encourage our children to take every day. What is the worst thing that could happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment