Friday, March 23, 2018

Family Friendly Restaurants: Oriental Jade

Here are our guidelines and how we will be rating:




  1. High chairs and booster  seats
  2. Have food the kiddos will eat 
  3. Entertainment for said child  ( coloring books, toys, puzzles, etc.)
  4. Changing tables in both restroom areas for both parents  
  5. Atmosphere that is child friendly 
  6. Affordability
  7. Child friendly staff
  8. Kids Cups
  9. Breastfeeding friendly
  10. Out of the way extras for kids


So I will slowly be adding places to this rating list based on these parameters and expectations. We do not count promptness of service for a number of reasons. Mostly because if they're busy-- they're busy. One that is working cannot control the traffic in and out of a restaurant. Both my husband and myself have worked in food services and know a number of variables that are in the card.


     

The Oriental Jade has been a family favorite for a number of years, yet many have been reluctant to visit given there has been a change in "ownership" and the buffet is no longer an option. I brought my kids in and this is what we experienced. The staff were friendly, inviting and relatable. They were mindful of the children in their section and attempted to keep them happy. They had plenty of high chairs and boosters and we were offered them prior to sitting. Very clean and sensory built into design for those who need such to do well.

     


Once seated, we were put in room with a wall that had water trickling down. The water on the wall and the sounds kept my 18 month old occupied for a solid 10 minutes. Once he took his eyes off the wall I was able to point to the ceiling to point out assorted hanging lamps and air plants. Both children got a kid's menu with crayons that also folded into a booklet featuring all of the chinese zodiac animals ( minus the cat). I do know they have other neat features in other sections such as hibachi ( a show in itself), a wall filled with water and bubbles moving up and beautiful murals. The seating also varied between booths and chairs making it wheelchair/ walker friendly. 

I am not going to lie, my four year old LOVES Chinese, Japanese and Thai food ( all of which are featured on the menu) so when I I think "kid friendly" I judge based off of my picky niece and nephews preferences. This summer while on vacation we had just left a restaurant while staying in a hotel and my husband asked what we could get as a snack for the room at corner store. My daughter said " Um, I think some chinese food". They have "American" foods such as Mac & Cheese and Chicken Tenders. My daughter and son split a chicken lo mein that came with rice on the side -- the portions were large enough for my 18 month old and 4 year old to split and have left overs to split again for lunch two days later. They did not have plastic kids cups, instead they used  large pepsi cups with a cover on them ( hard for little kids to drink on own without support).

   



All of the prices were similar to other places for adults ( $10 was the average with large portions). I will tell you I am still breast feeding ( my mother jokes I could eat a side of a barn when eating together). I had a bunch of food left over to bring home feeling stuffed leaving. The kids meals offered were all $5 each and on Thursdays kids eat for free with an adult meal ordered ( with 1:1 ratio adult to kid).


        

   
As for the restrooms -- both have changing tables and there is a little extra in the women's room. In the handicap accessible bathroom they have a picture of a mother and child -- in this stall they have toilets side by side mother and child size. My daughter loved it so much she attempted to go back in after a second time. They have a stool in the bathroom to aid in washing hands and everything was touch free to aid in the fight against germs. I left wanting to go back -- I am giving the "OJ" a rating a 9.9 out of 10 for kid friendly. The only room for improvement would be kids cups which they make up for in other bonus areas.


       


No comments:

Post a Comment