Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Rachel's pick of the week: Bradley Alewives Festival

Three years ago my Mother-in -law let me know about this festival that was starting in the town she lives in. There is not much that happens in the town of Bradley, the two things that always pop into my mind are Spencer's Ice Cream and The Logging Museum. It turns out the Alewives festival takes place at the logging museum. My suggestion is the following, bring your wellie boots ( or keens) and fishing nets to catch and release as the alewives run. Last year they had smoked alewives in the living history section with the smoke house, unfortunately I was pregnant at the time and afraid of eating anything smoked at the time.

There was a great obstacle course when you first came in the kiddos could "follow the channels" like the alewives do. My then 2 year old had a blast and was very proud of herself when she got through. Our 10 year old niece was catching the alewives and releasing them for a solid hour.There were so many alewives in the water my daughter waded in and they circled her ankles. My suggestion is to bring waterproof shoes, insect repellant, sunscreen and a change of clothes ( just incase you get wet playing in the water). The grounds are great to walk and it couldn't hurt to bring a snack to hold you over and water.  As a parent of a three year old and an 8 month old I plan on bringing my Ergo carrier. My sister-in-law prefers to use her jogging stroller instead of a carrier, what works best for you. The trails are rocky and bumpy so I do not suggest umbrella strollers, your arms will be killing you, take my word for it.

This event happens one day a year, usually the 3rd Saturday in May. This upcoming Saturday will be the 3rd annual event. The event is free for kids under 5. 5-18 year olds are $5 and 18 + are $10. However, if you become a member events are free and there are some really cool ones :)



My husbands favorite method of bring children around.









This is me 6 months pregnant with child #2 fishing 



Obstacle Course mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment