Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Billy's Pick of the Week: Sewall Park

There is a park Billy always brought me to on Perch Pond in Old Town, I never knew existed, when we started dating. My mother-in-law, who grew up in Old Town, shared with us that a lot of town events used to take place there. Over time it's become less popular, not due to it being an  undesired location, mainly due to being on the outskirts of town ( slightly out of the way). We brought our daughter and son to this park as an "after dinner adventure". Our three year old had a lot of energy and we needed to relax for the evening, the solution was to drive somewhere quiet away from the road where she could run free and get fresh air. Billy had heard the wild life refuge stocks perch pond with brook trout every year so he brought his fishing pole and set up in a secluded area. I brought a blanket with toys for our 9 month old, some water/ sand castle toys, extra clothes and towels. The water stays shallow for a ways which makes me feel comfortable with my three year old wading in the water a ways. I will admit, in ponds I get paranoid about swimmers itch later in the season. But, the sandy beach area combined with the picnicking area, porter potties, BBQ and fire pits makes this a great area for young children and older kids alike.  Ideal for fishing yet you'll need bug spray. We love to go around sunset mainly for the view and a great way to tucker out the kids before bedtime without going too far from home. I feel very comfortable just sitting on a blanket with my daughter in this location. Not many boats for water traffic despite two boat launches.

I will admit, in ponds I get paranoid about "swimmers itch" later in the season. That is something to keep your eyes open for. But, the sandy beach area combined with the picnicking area, porter potties, BBQ and fire pits makes this a great area for young children, older kids and adults alike.  Ideal for fishing yet you'll need bug spray. We love to go around sunset mainly for the view and a great way to tucker out the kids before bedtime without going too far from home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment