Sunday, May 7, 2017

Helping our Communities: Public Transportation

In my last two most recent posts I mentioned how our communities help us and how we can help our communities with our children. I also touched on one way we can add to community and also the community helps us as parents. One way is the BAT community connector.  Hear me out because I am sure a lot of you are cringing at the thought of public transportation, like many people do when I mentioned I used to take it frequently when I was at UMaine.

#1.We have a great community connector that runs from downtown to the university and back for free while school is in session. If you get on the bus midday you can ride for free with nearly no one else.  The bus is clean and my daughter LOVES the bus! She likes I get to sit next to her, no seatbelt, the bell, the lights, everything about the bus. The drivers are super friendly and have families of their own (all three drivers have listened to my three year old sing “the wheels on the bus” for easily a 20 minute ride).

#2. The bus is no worries about finding parking in places that are difficult to find parking or places you could easily get fined for parking in.


#3. The bus has a completely different set of rules for my child to learn about our community.  How to act on a bus with the set rules provided specific to that type of transportation. Children learn about how to get to point B from point A with support and modeling.

#4.By riding the bus you are getting free entertainment and saving the environment while doing it!

I grew up in Bangor and I understand there is a stigma toward the bus, however I think that is more of a reason to ride on the bus. All behaviors and experiences can be turned into learning opportunities. I read an article recently on the benefits of young children and taking different forms of transportation. I highly suggest folks really think about all of the pro’s and not just jump to the con’s. I know many of my environmentally conscious friends frequent the bus regularly. Just regular folks looking to make the world a better place that have great jobs and are working professionals!
 Don't let a few bad seeds ruin the bunch.

Here is the article I read recently:
http://grist.org/article/2010-11-01-why-public-transportation-is-good-for-kids/

No comments:

Post a Comment