Monday, July 4, 2016

Weekly Picks!:Great Pond Mountain

As I was talking with my good friend, Amy, she suggested I start a "Rachel's Picks" ( Rachel being me) for a week, but I decided that since I am only home on weekends and weeknights I may include "Billy's Picks" ( Billy being my husband) as well since he has our daughter during the week. These would be fun day trips that may or may not be in Penobscot county, but definitely not more than an hour to an hour and a half away from Bangor which I believe is central to most of Penobscot county and happens to be where I spent a lot of my childhood. A lot of the things we choose are day trips our parents have done with us and/or ones we started to do with our daughter or a combination of each. There are also going to be some picks that I want to try out and because we are pregnant I may not be able to do yet, but it's an idea to throw out there!

My first "Rachel's Pick" is one that is near and dear to my heart because it is one that I would do with my parents regularly when I was growing up in Bucksport with my siblings more than once a year. This was also a yearly field trip at Miles Lane School and an annual race my middle school cross country couch started. I will call this the "Great Pond Mountain Pick" and last year Billy and I did this with a 1 1/2 year old. Great Pond Mountain is located in Orland, Maine. We are happy to report the road is almost entirely paved to the fish hatchery now! At the base of Great Pond Mountain there is Alamoosook Lake with more hiking trails and during the week the fish hatchery is open for tours. There are pro's and con's to hiking with toddlers.

 Pro's

  • They are exploring their surroundings
  • Fresh air tuckers them out
  • They are safe away from traffic/cars 
  • Lots of breaks 
  • Get to take your time and take in the scenery
  • Great hike for Grandparents to join in on
  • Wildlife (woodpeckers, deer, hares, eagles, etc.)
  • Exercise for all!
  • Lots of snack breaks (berries and trail mix)
Con's
  • You will carry your toddler ( my 5 year old nephew struggles making it the whole way without being carried)
  • Exposure to the elements (SPF 50, extra rain coat, brimmed sun hat and insect repellant suggested)
  • Bumps and bruises
  • Wildlife (Skunks, Bears, Moose, etc.)
  • Extra luggage that comes with toddler ( Diapers, wipes, carriers, change of clothes, etc)
  • Could get dehydrated easily if you don't bring enough water!



 Our toddler made it all the way up the trail on her own with little assistance, we did go with my Father ( Grampy). However, we did take a few breaks (flower patches, rocks, wildlife, etc.) and we did have our Ergo carrier that she fell asleep in on our way down the Mountain. When we got done hiking we had packed a picnic lunch and snagged a picnic table at Alamoosook Lake( right next to Great Pond Mountain). They have public restrooms and changing rooms in this location! Once settled we cooled off in the lake and spent the rest of the day lounging there.  For just one child we had one parent carry the backpack while the other charged the toddler. I appreciated my father being there to help set the pace and reenforce patience on our part. He didn't mind stopping to look at flowers or looking at cool rocks our daughter found reminding us we are there for her. If you get an early start that can bring you from Breakfast straight to dinner time! Done right, you can have an excellent time ( providing you enjoy hiking/ the great outdoors)!All we had to pay for that day were the groceries for the picnic and gas money to drive there. On our way home we normally stop at my brothers or my parents for dinner and Dairy Port in Bucksport for Ice Cream. I realize not all folks have family in that area so going out to dinner may be an option.  Crosby's Drive-In is always a fun choice for a special occasion ( WARNING: If you go the seafood route, you will go over the $15 I try to set), they recently added a new playground for little ones while parents eat. Here is their menu so you can take a look! If it makes you feel any better I grew up with the family whose owns the Crosby's Drive -in and they are all about local supporting local businesses and some of the nicest people you'll meet!

http://media.wix.com/ugd/b1fa82_ed32692d313d46ee8bcb2aa2aa98e680.pdf

I realize that all experiences are not always perfect, but our family loves this hike year after year and this is how we make the most of it. The drive home can be difficult which is why we stress the lake part after the hike to kind of wake up the driver and rest. We're also fortunate again we can stop at my parents 30 minutes in and rest there if we are super tuckered out. With that said, our family always finds it to be a good day when everyone comes home and is exhausted. To us, that is a sign we made the most of the day and aids in a good nights sleep.












No comments:

Post a Comment