Sunday, September 25, 2016

Rachel's Pick of The Week : Leonard's Mills

     The reason I am choosing this post for this week is not only because I am head over heals about this location, but because this upcoming weekend (October 1st and 2nd) are Living History days here. I truly urge everyone that reads this blog to go out and check out this once a year event. We never miss these events and we even stopped into a random event in Orrington this summer thinking it would compare we love this event so much. Seriously, if there was one event to go to all year long this would be my choice or at least a close tie to the Common Ground Fair. I would have to be in the hospital or physically unable to leave the house before I would miss this event. Lets put it this way, I had a newborn a month ago and I plan on being there with my two year old.

     Leonards Mills is located in Bradley, Maine and is a part of the Umaine cooperative extension and experimental forest. It is considered Maine's Forest and Logging Museum. Located off route 178 between Bradley and Brewer.

     Before Billy and I had kids we made Leonard Mills a tradition, it was a family tradition of his that he shared with me and I immediately fell in love it. We would bring his niece( now my niece too) and enjoy a day out with his whole family. As we got older we became family and our family grew it became a staple in our activities to make it out in the spring for the Elwives Festival, in the fall for Living History Days and soon to begin in the winter for sleigh rides ( Our little one was too small before).

      Here are the things that make this event memorable and drew me into loving this place. First off, the location is remarkably beautiful all year round. I take pictures of these event and people are asking for weeks where I got those pictures taken/ where I found such a nice spot. Secondly, we love the outdoors and this location has a beautiful stream that runs through the property making it a great choice for a mill as well as a place to watch the elwives run in the spring. The preservation is exceptional and living history days are the most impressive part in my opinion. People really get into character for a day and live as if they were sent back into time. They have cottages, smoke houses, tents and boats accurate to the times. The offer fresh cider, biscuits and baked beans made authentic to the 1800's ( I suggest bringing cash because they are to die for and it's first come - first serve). They have a petting zoo for the kids, wagon rides pulled by oxen and/or horse (depending on the year), boat rides and wax candles that kids get to make themselves. Lots of grounds to cover and spread out enough for there to be a lot of people, yet feel not crowded.

Suggestions! You may need a carrier, sling or a stroller for your little ones.We find our sling or carrier since it's easier to go on horse and/or boat rides, tours of the saw mill without worrying about leaving your stroller behind
. With that said-- most parents have certain comfort levels and we respect that too. We also bring snacks since we tend to spend a few hours there and while some kids like baked beans and biscuits others do not. Lets just say we have a mix in our family as far as picky eating is concerned. I would bring at least $40 in cash if you are going to living history days for a family of four. Adults are $10, kids are $5. That's just because we all like to get the food and they also have a neat gift shop at the beginning that has cool t-shirts, whistles and knick knacks. We don't mind splurging every now and then when we know the money goes to such a great place. Knowing we are aiding in the preservation of Leonard's Mills is enough for us. 







































No comments:

Post a Comment